The optional – and exceptional – engine choice for the TLX is a highly potent 3.5-liter, 290-horsepower V-6 engine (@ 6200 rpm, SAE net) with direct fuel injection, Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) and an i-VTEC® system.
- Intelligent Variable Timing and lift Control (i-VTEC®) increases horsepower by opening intake valves longer and deeper at approximately 4500 rpm. This high rpm airflow is further enhanced by Variable Timing Control which incrementally advances the opening of intake valves as rpm rises.
- At 60 MPH on the highway, Variable Cylinder Management™ improves highway fuel efficiency by allowing the V-6 to run on three cylinders, depending on driving conditions. Accelerate to pass a slow-moving vehicle, and the system fires all six cylinders. The transition is imperceptible to the driver and passengers.
- For a more precise, effective air/fuel mixture, direct injection sends fuel directly into each cylinder through a multi-hole injector. It addition to added performance, this process significantly lessens fuel consumption at engine start.
- Fuel directly injected into a cylinder has a cooling effect, allowing power-increasing higher compression with no engine knocking.
- The added throttle sensitivity of the Drive-by-Wire system supplies exceptional throttle response and driver feel when navigating challenging conditions.
- The net result: 290 horsepower at 6200 rpm, 267 lbs.-ft. of torque at 4500 rpm (both SAE net), and EPA Fuel Economy Ratings97 of 20 / 31 / 24 MPG (city / highway / combined) for the front-drive models and 20 / 29 / 23 MPG for SH-AWD® models. (EPA Fuel Economy Ratings97 of 20 / 30 / 23 for front-wheel drive A-Spec models)