The standard TLX engine is anything but standard. The aluminum block, direct-injected 2.4-liter inline-4 powerplant delivers 206 high-revving horsepower at 6800 rpm, 182 lb. ft. of torque at 4500 rpm (both SAE net). Its light weight helps make handling nimble and fuel economy ratings notable.
- Intelligent Variable Timing and lift Control (i-VTEC®) increases horsepower by opening intake valves longer and deeper at approximately 4500 rpm and above. This high rpm airflow is further enhanced by Variable Timing Control which incrementally advances the opening of intake valves as rpm rises.
- For a more precise, effective air/fuel mixture, Direct Gas Injection sends fuel directly into each cylinder through a multi-hole injector. It addition to added performance, this process significantly lessens fuel consumption at engine start.
- Fuel directly injected into a cylinder has a cooling effect, allowing power-increasing higher compression with no engine knocking.
- The engine’s rigid aluminum block reduces weight for improved handling.
- Reduced friction equals increased fuel efficiency. Here are a few ways it’s done:
- Offset cylinders
- Low-tension piston rings
- Double-arm chain system
- Exclusive belt layout for EPS