The engine for all RLX models is a 3.5-liter, 310-horsepower83 V-6 engine that features Direct Fuel Injection, Variable Cylinder Management™ and the Acura i-VTEC® system.
- Intelligent Variable Valve Timing and lift Electronic Control (i-VTEC®) increases horsepower by advancing valve timing relative to engine rpm. High-rpm airflow is enhanced by opening intake valves longer and deeper at approximately 4500 rpm.
- Variable Cylinder Management™ significantly improves highway fuel efficiency by automatically changing the V-6 engine to run on six or three cylinders, depending on driving conditions. The cylinder activation is seamless and not felt by driver or passengers.
- Direct Fuel Injection injects fuel directly into each cylinder with a multi-hole injector for a more precise and effective air fuel mixture. It also uses significantly less fuel when the engine is being started.
- Fuel that is injected directly into the cylinder also has a cooling effect, which allows the power-increasing effects of a higher compression ratio without engine knocking.
- The Drive-by-Wire throttle system varies throttle sensitivity to provide the appropriate throttle response and feel to different driving conditions.
- For V-6 P-AWS® models, the net result is an engine that produces 310 horsepower at 6500 rpm, 272 lb-ft of torque at 4500 rpm (both SAE net) while having EPA Fuel Economy Ratings97 of 20 / 29 / 23 MPG (city/highway/combined).