Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) is the ultimate sport handling choice for the RDX. Offering high-performance dry-road handling while providing all-weather advantages of a all-wheel drive. By continuously directing engine power to match weight distribution, available traction, driver input and other conditions, SH-AWD provides seamless power transitions and liberating agility.
- The system continuously determines the optimal level of power distribution between the front and rear wheels—and between the rear wheels individually – based on a continuous analysis of wheel speed, steering angle, lateral G-force and yaw rate.
- To greatly improve fuel efficiency, most of the power is sent to the front wheels when cruising in a straight line.
- As weight shifts to the rear during hard acceleration, the SH-AWD system transfers nearly half of engine power to the rear wheels and takes full advantage of additional, available traction.
- On a curve under hard acceleration, the RDX feels firmly planted, because the majority of effective torque can be directed to the rear wheels. And all of that torque can be applied exclusively to the outside wheel, which improves cornering ability by allocating power to where the weight has shifted.
- SH-AWD on the RDX even further reduces understeer and increases stability by revolving the outside rear wheel slightly faster than the other wheels, helping rotate the vehicle through the turn.