All seven seating positions in the MDX have 3-point belts and head restraints. The front seats also have a load limiting tensioner system. Each airbag has a sophisticated deployment system.41
- Front seat belt tensioners react in the first milliseconds of a sufficient impact to automatically tighten the front belts and help hold the individual in position against the seatback.
- To help prevent the tensioners from causing undue pressure on the chest, load limiters slightly relieve belt tension, as needed, to help soften the force.
- In addition to two front airbags, two front-side airbags and side airbags that provide coverage for all three rows, the MDX is also equipped with a driver’s knee airbag.
- Sensors in the front passenger seat determine if it is empty or if the passenger is too small for the passenger’s front airbag to deploy safely, and disengage the front passenger’s front airbag, if necessary.
- In the event of a moderate-to-severe side impact, the SmartVent™ front side airbag inflates to help protect the driver’s or front passenger’s upper torso.