The MDX draws both power and efficiency from a 3.5-liter, 290-horsepower V‑6 engine81 that features Direct Gas Injection, Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM®) and the Acura I‑VTEC® system.
- Intelligent Variable Timing and lift Control (I‑VTEC) increases horsepower by advancing valve timing relative to engine rpm. High-rpm airflow is enhanced at approximately 4,500 rpm when intake valve openings are extended deeper and for longer duration.
- VCM® significantly improves highway fuel efficiency by automatically changing the V‑6 engine to run on six or three cylinders, depending on driving conditions. The cylinder activation is so seamless, it will likely go unnoticed by your passengers.
- Direct Gas Injection injects fuel directly into each cylinder for a more precise and effective air fuel mixture. It also uses significantly less fuel during engine starts. The cooling effect of fuel injected directly into the cylinder allows the incorporation of the power-increasing effects of a higher compression ratio without engine knocking.
- The Drive-by-Wire throttle system varies throttle sensitivity to provide the appropriate throttle response and feel to different driving conditions.
- The net result? The MDX engine produces 290 horsepower at 6200 rpm, and 267 lb.-ft. of torque (SAE net) at 4500 rpm and has an EPA Fuel Economy Ratings97 of 20 / 27 / 23 MPG (city/highway/combined) for the front-wheel drive model and 19 / 26 / 22 for the SH‑AWD® model (19 / 25 / 21 for SH‑AWD A‑Spec).