To help reduce the likelihood or severity of a frontal impact, all RLX models include the Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™).
- Powered by a radar transmitter mounted in the grille trim, the CMBS™ determines the distance and closing speed of detected objects that lie directly ahead.
- If you do not take action to reduce speed, models with the Advance Package automatically tug at your seat belt as a warning. All models will begin light braking.
- When the system senses that a frontal collision is unavoidable, and even if no prior alerts have been given, strong braking is automatically applied to help reduce the impact velocity and collision force.
- On models with the Advance Package, CMBS™ will activate the seat belt pre-tensioner system which gently retracts the shoulder belt pulling both the upper body and lap against the seat. This serves as an additional alert to the driver of potential danger, and also helps optimally position the bodies of both the driver and front passenger in preparation of a possible impact.
- The goal of the CMBS™ system is to alert the driver to apply the brakes. It is not alone expected to always brake the vehicle sufficiently to avoid a collision. The driver always remains responsible for avoiding collisions.