Every ILX is equipped with a sophisticated 8-speed DCT with torque converter and Sequential SportShift paddle shifters. Originally developed for racing, the dual-clutch design shifts faster, smoother and with greater efficiency than conventional automatic transmissions. You’ll find it a perfect fit for the high-revving inline-four engine.
- Unlike a conventional automatic, the transmission changes gears though clutches – much more like a manual transmission – rather than simply a torque converter.
- The transmission has one clutch for odd-numbered gears (1, 3, 5, 7) and a second for even ones (2, 4, 6, 8). While one clutch is engaged with the current gear, sensors predict whether the next gear change will be an upshift or downshift. The second clutch prepares the next gear ratio for instant engagement with a negligible loss of torque.
- Eight gear ratios keep the engine running at or near peak efficiency at nearly all speeds.
- Because dual-clutch transmissions have been known to shift roughly (particularly from a stop), we took the unprecedented step of incorporating a torque converter for a smoother launch.
- The true performance potential of the 8-Speed DCT is realized by paddle shifters that enable lightning-fast shifts that take only milliseconds versus a typical manual shift of about a half second. This makes lively acceleration out of a turn or engine braking down a mountain road particularly satisfying.