Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®)
Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) is the ultimate sport handling choice for the TLX. This available sophisticated system boosts high-performance dry-road handling while providing the same all-weather advantages of conventional all-wheel drive. By continuously directing engine power to match weight distribution, available traction, driver input and other conditions, SH-AWD® provides seamless power transitions and liberating agility. The sensation delivered by such high-performance cornering simply cannot be matched by front, rear or conventional all-wheel drive systems.
- The system continuously determines the optimal level of power distribution between the front and rear wheels—and between the rear wheels individually – based on a continuous analysis of wheel speed, steering angle, lateral G-force and yaw rate.
- To greatly improve fuel efficiency, up to 90% of the power is sent to the front wheels when cruising in a straight line.
- As weight shifts to the rear during hard acceleration, the SH-AWD® system transfers up to 45% of engine power to the rear wheels and takes full advantage of additional, available traction.
- On a curve under hard acceleration, the TLX feels firmly planted, because 70% of effective torque can be directed to the rear wheels. And all of that torque can be applied exclusively to the outside wheel, which improves cornering ability by allocating power where the weight has shifted.
- SH-AWD® on the TLX even further reduces understeer and increases stability by revolving the outside rear wheel up to 2.7% faster than the other wheels, helping rotate the vehicle through the turn.