Standard Audio System
The standard TL audio system boasts many features competing systems lack. The 276-watt, 8-speaker system with a center speaker and 8-inch subwoofer is a perfect setup for the Dolby®5 Pro Logic® II sound imaging which can be applied to CD, XM® Radio4, USB7 or any digital source. Audio sources for the system include:
- AM and FM with RDS readout
- XM Radio, with more than 170 channels of digital programming and near-CD quality sound
- MP3- and WMA6-compatible 6-disc CD changer
- USB Audio Interface for iPod®8 or flash drive that enables full operation of the devices through the audio system controls
- MP3/auxiliary input jack
Other system features include:
- Detailed audio information, including title information from the top-mounted instrument panel display
- A large selector knob for easy control of several functions
- A special category selector for XM and RDS Radio stations
- An automatic preset select button that allows you to preset the most powerful stations in a given area
Acura/ELS Surround Sound System
Grammy® Award-winning recording engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner helped design the Acura/ELS Surround®32 Premium 10-speaker Sound System to reproduce music the way it’s heard in the recording studio. The system can play 5.1 surround sound DVD-A discs, the highest-fidelity sound medium available. Surround sound can also be extracted from any stereo digital source, thanks to Dolby®5 Pro Logic® II circuitry. In addition to all the source inputs of the standard TL audio system, features of the Acura/ELS system include:
- 15GB or approximately 3,600-song hard disk drive media storage with shuffle, playlist creation, and an updatable Gracenote® database
- DVD-A, MP3, WMA6 and DTS-compatible disc player
- Bluetooth® Audio system to play songs wirelessly from a compatible cell phone while song data can appear on the navigation screen
- 440-watt amplifier with digital 96 kHz sampling for crystal-clear sound
- 10 speakers—1 per door, 2 tweeters, 1 center mid-range, 2 rear surround, 1 powered 8-inch subwoofer
- Almost all functions can be performed by Voice Recognition
- The Note function music reminder allows you to store song information and a 10-second sample as it is aired on an XM® Radio4 station so you can recall it later
Learn more about Acura ELS/Surround Sound
It’s easy to take your digital music library along for the ride in your TL. A USB connection interfaces with Apple® iPod®8 players and other USB mass storage devices, such as flash drives that contain MP3, WMA6 or AAC music files.
- Track information appears on the center display. Selection can be controlled using the audio system, including the steering wheel-mounted controls.
- Pressing the Audio button will display song data on the navigation screen, as well as an album cover image if stored in the iPod.
- An auxiliary input jack can be connected to any iPod, MP3 player or other audio device.
- Both the USB and auxiliary inputs are within the center console-covered storage area, where devices can be conveniently carried and discreetly stored.
Song By Voice
The Song By Voice® feature uses the Voice Recognition system to help the TL driver find music from the hard disc drive or a USB7-connected iPod®8 simply by voicing a preference.
- The system is initialized with either of the commands, “iPod search” or “HDD search,” after which you can find your preference by first stating your chosen category, such as: song, artist, album, or genre.
- Follow your category choice by stating your desired music selection. For example, if “Equilibrium” is the title song of an album, the command “Play song “Equilibrium” will play the song, while saying, “Play album “Equilibrium” will play the whole album.
- An auxiliary input jack can be connected to any iPod, MP3 player or other audio device.
- You can also have the system display lists of artists, albums, and other categories on the navigation screen.
Functionality and Controls
The Acura Navigation System10—the centerpiece of the TL Technology Package—is Acura’s most advanced navigation system. Operated by a hard drive and viewed though a full VGA 8-inch screen, the system is fast, easy to read and incredibly convenient.
- The full-resolution, 8-inch screen is mounted high in the center control panel to minimize eye diversion from the road.
- You can enter an address or search a location from its vast destination database, using the interface dial or the Voice Recognition system.
- The screen will plot your path on the map, show special displays to guide you through freeway ramps, interchanges and forks in the road, and even provide voiced guidance if desired.
- Additional features include Zagat Survey® restaurant reviews, and AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic and Weather™13 information, which can help you get around delays while traveling to your desired destination.
- Following the 90-day free trial period, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic and Weather services are available on a subscription basis for a fee, which can be combined with or separate from other XM® subscriptions.
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic
The ™13 feature helps you steer clear of gridlock by providing continuously updated traffic information in major metropolitan areas across the 48 contiguous United States.
- Interstates and expressways are color-coded to indicate traffic flow levels.
- Icons indicate the location of incidents and traffic conditions affected by construction and weather.
- Traffic Rerouting™ will suggest an alternative route if the system determines that the alternative is at least 2 minutes or 10% quicker.
- The information is aggregated by NAVTEQ™ from multiple sources, including highway patrol incident reports and transportation departments, and is updated approximately every 90 seconds.
- Following the 90-day free trial period, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ data services are available on a subscription basis for a fee, which can be combined with or separate from other XM® subscriptions.
AcuraLink Real-Time Weather
You can determine the weather conditions in your immediate area or anywhere you plan to be with the AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™13 system. It will even alert you if a potential weather-related issue exists along your plotted route.
- Current weather is shown on the TL map display in the form of icons, which can be clicked on to receive details.
- Weather forecasts for the next three hours, six hours, and across the next three days in a given area are available any time.
- A warning map and an additional map showing adverse weather conditions across the U.S. are also accessible.
- Following the 90-day free trial period, AcuraLink Real-Time Weather data services are available on a subscription basis for a fee, which can be combined with or separate from other XM® subscriptions.
To keep you up-to-date with the latest information related to your TL, this easy-to-use proprietary data network uses the XM® Radio4 communications interface. Some of the features available through AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System13 include:
- A pre-programmed TL feature guide
- Automated Appointments™ with your Acura dealer
- Direct communication with your dealer
- If you have linked your cell phone to the Bluetooth®11 HandsFreeLink® interface, the system can also contact Acura headquarters and your dealer for the latest diagnostic information.
The Acura Navigation System10 has an extensive database of addresses and points of interest for a variety of handy information.
- For instance, you can ask the system to show you the nearby ATMs, and if you don’t want to pay a service charge, just tell it to show your bank’s machines.
- You can also find the exact type of restaurant you’re in the mood for, as well as locate schools, parks, hospitals, drugstores, museums and more.
- Since destinations change over time, updated navigation information can be downloaded through this website onto a CD or flash drive which can be uploaded into your car’s system.
The Acura Navigation System10 will not only tell you where restaurants are and how to get to them, it can also tell you their price range and provide customer reviews.
- The system’s Zagat Survey® restaurant reviews provide detailed information from a database that you can read on screen, or if you’re driving, they can be spoken over the audio system.
- If you need reservations, the system can even dial the restaurant for you through a paired, compatible Bluetooth®11-enabled cell phone.
The Voice Recognition feature that accompanies the optional Acura Navigation System10 allows you to perform the most frequently used functions of the audio, climate control, and navigation systems without ever taking your hands off the wheel.
- With a simple click of the “Talk” steering wheel-mounted control, the audio system will instantly mute as you issue one of over 600 voice commands to the audio, climate or navigation systems.
- If you come to an unfamiliar information display on the navigation screen, voiced guidance prompts can help you with command choices. Displayed command choices will also be highlighted.
- Some commands can replace multiple manual functions, for example: “CD 3, song 4”, will turn on the audio system, select the third CD, and play the fourth song.
- You can enter a specific address, as the navigation system will recognize over a million city and street names.