Acura has long recognized that the greatest level of contact you have with a car is through the seats. Needless to say, extensive attention went into the Acura flagship sedan’s seats.
- Standard on all models are seating surfaces and interior trim with remarkably soft, perforated Milano Leather.
- Both front seats have 12-way adjustment, which includes a lumbar support that adjusts up and down, as well as in and out.
- Four distinct levels of softness and firmness are designed into the seats to provide an ideal combination of comfort and support.
- While dual-level heating is standard, the Advance Package provides six levels of personal climate control, including three levels of heating and three of ventilation. The seats cool an occupant by drawing air across occupants and into the perforations in the leather, allowing you to quickly reach your desired comfort level.
- For supreme convenience, the 2-driver automatic memory system is designed to record preferences for the driver’s seat, steering wheel and side mirror positions.
Using the same packaging techniques it employs on its smaller vehicles, Acura gave the RLX class-leading rear legroom that’s equivalent to most competing brands’ full-size luxury sedans.
- At 38.8 inches, the RLX offers more rear legroom than the Lexus LS, Audi A8 and comes within a tenth of an inch of the Jaguar XJ and BMW 7-Series sedans.
- Rear occupants have their own climate control zone, which they can set with controls behind the front center console.
- Advance Package models are equipped with dual-level heating for the rear outboard seating positions.
- Advance Package models also provide full-coverage side sunshade on the rear doors and a power rear sunshade.
Models with the Advance Package allow rear passengers to enhance their comfort by blocking the sunlight from all three sides.
- A power sunshade can be activated from either the front or rear seats to rise from the rear passenger shelf.
- Each rear door has manual slide-up sunshades, so in addition to covering the main window, a smaller screen simultaneously covers the rear-quarter window for full side coverage.
Open the trunk lid, and you’ll find a wide area with a flat floor that easily accommodates large pieces of cargo.
- The RLX provides just under 15 (14.9) EPA-rated cubic feet of highly usable space with some additional hidden storage under the trunk floor. Models with the Advance Package have 14.9 cubic feet, as some space is devoted to the powerful Krell® Audio System sub-woofer and Sport Hybrid models have 11.6 cubic feet, due to the packaging of the hybrid system.
- There are some additional cargo spaces under the trunk floor as well as spaces designed to store tools for the flat repair kit and a large warning sign.
- On front-drive models, a pass-through space behind the rear seat armrest allows the placement of long items such as skis.
A luxury car cabin will not feel nearly as luxurious if it’s cluttered with everyday items or if things are difficult to find. That’s why considerable care was taken with the RLX interior to ensure that everything you need at a moment’s notice is within reach.
- The illuminated glove box has a shelf to keep the owner’s manual readily at hand. If you require a larger, undivided space, the shelf can be easily reconfigured.
- The center storage compartment has both a deep bin for large items and a tray near the top for smaller, easily accessible items. The console armrest/storage cover is double-hinged to open either in the direction of the driver or front passenger and can also slide back for ongoing access to the top storage tray.
- Storage areas such as the coin pocket and cup holder have chrome-plated knobs that are illuminated at night when closed. When opened, the storage spaces themselves are automatically illuminated.
The RLX instrument panel takes the Acura interior-design DNA to a whole new level. Supple leather starts at the front door panels, sweeps across the curves of the Acura dual-cove instrument panel, and clothes the center panel controls, surrounding the driver and front passenger in leather.
- There are now two screens in the center: the lower On Demand Multi-Use Display™ (ODMD™) touch screen contains primary controls for audio and climate controls, allowing the main display screen to remain high for at-a-glance viewing and to display information that’s independent from the touch screen.
- The RLX still provides you with physical analog gauges for road and engine speeds, temperature and fuel level.
- The color Multi-Information Display (MID) between the speedometer and tachometer can be controlled from the steering wheel to provide a wealth of information from tire pressure to average mpg. On navigation-equipped models, the MID is in full color and can show turn-by-turn navigation directions.
- An attractive three-spoke steering wheel provides you with a wide array of controls that are easy to distinguish through a combination of buttons, toggles and rotary wheels.
- Additional controls for sunroof, interior lights, and HomeLink® are overhead, yet easily within reach. The HomeLink system lets you conveniently eliminate separate garage or gate remotes by programming their frequencies into one of three buttons.
GPS-linked Climate Control
To maximize comfort for all passengers, the RLX features a tri-zone automatic climate control system that allows the driver, front passenger and rear passengers to adjust their own temperature and airflow settings. A solar sensor measures the sun's intensity to determine its impact on interior temperature while the GPS receiver for the Acura Navigation System10 tracks the sun's position relative to the car.
- As you approach the RLX, it detects which remote you have and will automatically set your preferred climate-control settings.
- If alone, you can synchronize all climate zones to a single setting.
- Adjustable vents behind the front center console allow rear passengers to direct and control airflow.
- Almost all climate control functions can be operated by voice commands.
On Demand Multi-Use Display
Acura has long been at the forefront of audio and information technology. But as the number of features have grown, so have the number of buttons on the center panel. The RLX designers, however, devised an intuitively easy way to use a touch screen with all the controls you need at any given time. What could have resulted in over 30 buttons is now a mere nine.
- You no longer have to repeatedly hit a button until your desired function is rotated into place. With nine different audio sources, each one can be accessed directly.
- Each display has a design that best arranges controls for the particular task at hand, so every panel can be quickly understood and operated.
- Every climate control function is instantly accessible with six hard controls as well as six touch-screen controls with a near-permanent presence at the bottom of the control screen.
- A shortcuts screen speeds you to your favorite presets among all audio sources, climate control combinations, navigation locations, or phone speed-dial favorites.
- Another shortcut allows you to disable access to various locations and functions for valet service, including trunk and glove box, as well as navigation, phone and audio controls.
- All the screens can display an instant current status of audio or climate functions while the upper display screen continues undisturbed.
Electronic Gear Selector
Sport Hybrid Feature
The 7-speed dual clutch transmission in the Sport Hybrid is operated not through a conventional shift lever but rather through the Acura Electronic Gear Selector.
- The selector sits nearly flush with the console, opening up space for easy access to the cup holders and other controls.
- Pushing “Drive” delivers smooth gear changes with an emphasis on fuel efficiency. Selecting “Sport” mode brings on quicker downshifts and higher RPMs before upshifts as well as going into full manual mode when the paddle shifters are operated.
- “Reverse” and the Parking Break controls are pulled up to engage, which helps prevent them from being engaged accidentally. The parking brake is automatically disengaged when “Drive” or “Reverse” is selected.
In addition to the sophisticated touch-screen controls and the versatile steering-wheel controls, the Voice Recognition feature allows you to perform the most frequently used functions of the audio, climate control, and navigation systems without ever lifting a finger.
- With a simple click of the "Talk" steering wheel-mounted control, the audio system will instantly mute as you issue one of 600-plus voice commands to the audio, climate or navigation systems.
- If you come to an unfamiliar information display on the navigation screen, voiced guidance prompts can help you with command choices, and available command choices will be highlighted.
- Some commands can replace multiple manual functions, for example: "CD, song 4", will turn on the audio system, select CD as an audio source, and play the fourth song.
- You can enter a specific address, as the navigation system will recognize over a million city and street names.
- This is the latest edition of the voice recognition system, which Acura has been offering and refining for over a decade.
Keyless Access System
The Keyless Access System with smart entry and pushbutton ignition allows you to walk up to the RLX, unlock the doors, have the car set your preferences and start the engine without ever having to take the key out of your pocket.
- The vehicle will sense the key remote but will not unlock the door until you touch the handle.
- You can turn the engine and auxiliary controls on and off at the touch of a button.
- If the key fob battery runs out, you can start the engine by pushing the start button and moving the key in front of the pressed start button while depressing the brake pedal.
The Bluetooth®11 HandsFreeLink® system works with most Bluetooth-enabled cell phones to let you receive and initiate phone calls through the RLX audio system without ever taking your hands off the wheel.
- With a compatible phone, a simple one-time pairing process using the navigation screen is all it takes to connect your phone to the car. Apple and Android smartphones can even download the AcuraLink® App to make pairing, among other functions, even easier. As long as your phone’s Bluetooth is enabled, the car will automatically reconnect your phone without it ever leaving your pocket or purse.
- Whether you initiate or receive a call, the audio system will automatically mute, and you will hear the call through the audio system speakers. By speaking to the windshield, your voice is clearly received through sophisticated directional microphones.
- Up to six phones can be paired to the system, and if several of the phones are present, you can easily select which one will be connected and change the selection at any time.
- HandsFreeLink functions are viewed and operated through the navigation screen, and when available, an incoming call will display the number if it is entered into the speed-dial list.
- You can download all of your compatible phone’s numbers at one time into the navigation system’s hard drive.10
For more details, please visit the Acura Bluetooth HandsFreeLink minisite.
SMS / Email Function
An integrated SMS text message function44 enables you to respond to incoming text messages in a manner that helps mitigate any potential driver distraction.
- When driving with a paired, activated, SMS-compatible phone, the system will notify you of an incoming text message.
- Rather than avert your eyes from the road by reading the text on a display, the system will ask if you want it to "read" the message to you.
- After the message is read aloud, you can use the center display to select six pre-prepared responses.
- In addition, the system gives you the option to call the person who sent the text.
- Currently the system is compatible with Apple IOS 6, Android 4.4 (KitKat) or later, and Blackberry phones with the MAP protocol. Other models with the required messaging protocol are expected to enter the market in the future.
- State or local laws may limit use of texting feature. Only use texting feature when conditions allow you to do so safely.
Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow
Conventional cruise control has always been welcome on long highway trips, but can be of little use on an urban driver's daily routine. As with a conventional system, the available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with low-speed follow53 system allows you to set a desired speed, but it will also keep a set interval behind a car detected ahead of you so you can enjoy cruise control even in light traffic conditions.
- While cruising, engage the ACC, and the system will prompt you to select a short, medium or long interval from a vehicle detected ahead.
- Once a speed is set (between 20 and 95) you can raise or lower it with the steering-wheel controls while the MID informs you what mph you are setting.
- At speeds below the set speed, ACC will maintain the set interval, modulating the throttle and applying moderate braking where appropriate. The interval will be maintained even if the forward vehicle slows to a stop.
- After stopping, a tap on the throttle instructs the car to continue maintaining the desired interval between the vehicles.
Lane Keeping Assist System
Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)59 works proactively to keep the vehicle not only inside the lane, but in the center of the lane.
- If you guide the car out of a detected lane without signaling your intention to exit it, the system will slightly tug the wheel and guide the car to the center of the lane.
- Though the steering creates a slight tug, you can easily hold your course if you desire, as the system will not take control from you.
- On straight or mildly curved roads, LKAS will work to maintain the car in the center of the lane.
- The system is not designed to steer the car indefinitely. If it senses no steering input from the driver for over ten seconds, it will present a message instructing the driver to begin steering again.
Road Departure Mitigation
To help make sure that you only take the RLX off the pavement when you want to, all RLX models are equipped with Road Departure Mitigation, which detects objects on the side of the road and helps you avoid them.
- While the Lane Keeping Assist uses a camera to identify lane markers such as painted lane lines, Botts Dots and cat eye markers, the Road Departure Mitigation System can identify objects such as trees or parked cars which would indicate spaces beyond the side of the road.
- When the system detects the RLX is about to leave the road, it warns the driver with an MID warning message, an amber head-up warning and a tightening of the seat belt.
- The system then uses the active steering function of the Lane Keeping Assist system along with the vehicle’s autonomous braking capability to guide the RLX back into its detected lane.
Krell® Audio System
Krell® Industries is the world's premier manufacturer of high-performance audio and video equipment. Its systems and individual components have received the highest honors by reviewers and audiophiles across the globe. The 14-speaker layout is identical to that of the ELS Studio Premium Audio System, but the speakers and amplifiers are Krell designed:
- The system's most important amplifier channels feature the same robust, bipolar power transistors used in flagship Krell home amplifiers. The result is one-third less distortion than the leading competitors’ flagship luxury car amplifiers, while providing substantially more power and headroom.
- The six mid-bass drivers are made from Zylon64—the world's strongest super fiber—enabling the system to respond quickly to musical signals for sharper clarity of mid-range to bass sounds.
- The handsome metal speaker grilles create a more open area and less vibration than typical plastic grilles for a more unobtrusive presence.
All audio sources and these features are common to both the ELS Studio and Krell audio systems:
- USB7 Audio Interface for iPod®8 or flash drive enabling full operation through the audio system controls.
- SiriusXM® Satellite Radio4 and HD Radio®, both offering near-CD quality digital sound.
- Bluetooth®11 streaming audio, plus the ability to navigate and operate Aha™ and Pandora®45 through a compatible smartphone.
- An auxiliary input jack plays content from personal music players that are incompatible with the USB jack.
- Song by Voice® allows songs stored in an iPod®8 to be accessed by voice command.
- The note function music-reminder lets you store SiriusXM® song information and a 10-second sample so you can recall it later
Hearing your digital music through the RLX couldn't be easier with its USB7 connection for interfacing with Apple® iPod®8 players and other USB mass storage devices that contain MP3, WMA6 or AAC music files.
- On a compatible iPod®8, music selection can be controlled through the audio system, including the steering wheel-mounted controls.
- The USB7 will charge, rather than deplete, a compatible iPod while it's playing.
- You can plug in, select, and play music from a flash drive or other USB storage device.
- Track and folder information appears on the center display to simplify music search and selection.
- An incompatible iPod and other MP3 players can be plugged into the accompanying auxiliary input jack.
- Both the USB and auxiliary inputs are within the center console-covered storage area where devices can be conveniently carried and discreetly stored.
AcuraLink The Next Generation
A significantly more robust generation of AcuraLink®70 began with the RLX. The system now features two-way cellular communication through an embedded cellular device, making it more versatile. Location and diagnostic information can be sent and retrieved from the car, allowing greater interaction with a smartphone, as well as more available services. Many AcuraLink features are free of charge, while others will require a subscription service. Some of the other highlights are:
- The RLX will instantaneously send out an emergency notification if an airbag has been deployed. (Cellular connection and subscription required.)
- If the RLX has been stolen, its location can be tracked by law enforcement authorities.
- AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57 can now show traffic levels on busy side streets as well as freeways.
- A location on a smartphone can be sent to the navigation system.
- As part of a subscription service, a live concierge can help you find destinations and send directions to your navigation system.
- You can remotely lock or unlock your vehicle using your smartphone.
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic
The AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57 feature helps you steer clear of gridlock by providing continuously updated traffic information in major metropolitan areas across the 48 contiguous United States. It's free for three years, and after that, it's available by a subscription service.
- Interstates, expressways and now, busy side streets are color-coded to indicate traffic flow levels.
- Icons indicate the location of incidents and traffic conditions affected by construction and weather.
- You can also have the system simply list traffic-impacting collisions and construction zones in your surrounding area.
- Traffic Rerouting™57 will suggest an alternative route if the system determines it's at least two minutes or 10% quicker.
The Acura Navigation System10 has an extensive database of addresses and points of interest for a variety of handy information.
- The system will not only show you the nearby ATMs, if for example, you don’t want to pay a service charge, just tell it to show your bank’s machines.
- You can also find the exact type of restaurant you’re in the mood for, as well as locate schools, parks, hospitals, drugstores, museums and more.
- Since destinations change over time, updates can be downloaded through this website and uploaded to the navigation hard drive.