Acura has long recognized that the greatest level of contact you have with a car is through the seats. Needless to say, extensive attention went into the seats of the Acura flagship sedan.
- Both front seats have 12-way adjustment, which includes a lumbar support that adjusts up and down, as well as in and out.
- Four distinct levels of softness and firmness are designed into the seats to provide an ideal combination of comfort and support.
- While dual-level heating is standard, the Advance Package provides six levels of personal climate control, including three levels of heating and three of cooling. The seats cool by drawing air across occupants and into the perforations in the leather, allowing you to quickly reach your desired comfort level.
- For supreme convenience, the 2-driver automatic memory system is designed to record preferences for the drivers seat, steering wheel and side mirror positions.
- The Technology Package covers the seating surfaces with remarkably soft, perforated Milano Leather.
Using the same packaging techniques it employs on its smaller vehicles, Acura gave the RLX class-leading rear legroom thats equivalent to most competing brands full-size luxury sedans.
- At 38.8 inches, the RLX offers more rear legroom than the Lexus LS, Audi A8 and comes within a tenth of an inch of the Jaguar XJ and BMW 7-Series sedans.
- Rear occupants have their own climate control zone, which they can set with controls behind the front center console.
- Advance Package models are equipped with dual-level heating for the rear outboard seating positions.
- Models equipped with the Krell® Premium Audio System provide full-coverage side sunshade on the rear doors and a power rear sunshade.
Krell Audio and Advance Packages
Models with the Krell® Premium or Advance Packages allow rear passengers to enhance their comfort by blocking the sunlight from all three sides.
- A power sunshade can be activated from either the front or rear seats to rise from the rear passenger shelf.
- Each rear door has manual slide-up sunshades, so in addition to covering the main window, a smaller screen simultaneously covers the rear-quarter window for full side coverage.
Open the trunk lid, and youll find a wide area with a flat floor that easily accommodates large pieces of cargo.
- The RLX provides just under 15 (14.9) EPA-rated square feet of highly usable space with some additional hidden storage under the trunk floor. The model with the Krell® Premium Audio system has 14.7 cubic feet, as some space is devoted to the powerful sub-woofer.
- There are some additional cargo spaces under the trunk floor as well as spaces custom fit for designed to store tools for the flat repair kit and a large warning sign.
- On front-drive models, additional pass-through space behind the rear seat armrest allows the placement of long items such as skis.
- To accommodate the lithium battery, the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD models have 11.6 cu ft of trunk space and there is no pass-through space behind the center armrest.
A luxury car cabin will not feel nearly as luxurious if its cluttered with everyday items or if things are difficult to find. Thats why considerable care was taken with the RLX interior to ensure that everything you need at a moments notice is within reach.
- The illuminated glove box has a shelf to keep the owners manual readily at hand. If you require a larger, undivided space, the shelf can be easily reconfigured.
- The center storage compartment has both a deep bin for large items (smaller depth on Sport Hybrid SH-AWD models) and a tray near the top for smaller, easily accessible items. The console armrest/storage cover is double-hinged to open either in the direction of the driver or front passenger and can also slide back for ongoing access to the top storage tray.
- Storage areas such as the coin pocket and cup holder have plated knobs that are illuminated at night when closed. When opened, the storage spaces themselves are automatically illuminated.
The RLX instrument panel takes the Acura interior-design DNA to a whole new level. Supple leather starts at the front door panels, sweeps across the curves of the Acura dual-cove instrument panel, and clothes the center panel controls, surrounding the driver and front passenger in leather.
- There are now two screens in the center: the lower On Demand Multi-Use Display™ (ODMD™) touch screen contains primary controls for audio and climate controls, allowing the main display screen to remain high for at-a-glance viewing and to display information thats independent from the touch screen.
- The RLX still provides you with physical analog gauges for road and engine speeds, temperature and fuel level.
- The Multi-Information Display (MID) between the speedometer and tachometer can be controlled from the steering wheel to provide a wealth of information from tire pressure to average mpg. On navigation-equipped models, the MID is in full color and can show turn-by-turn navigation directions.
- An all-new, three-spoke steering wheel provides you with a wide array of controls that are easy to distinguish through a combination of buttons, toggles and rotary wheels.
- Additional controls for sunroof, interior lights, and HomeLink® are overhead, yet easily within reach. The HomeLink system lets you conveniently eliminate separate garage or gate remotes by programming their frequencies into one of three buttons.
GPS-linked Climate Control
Navigation Package and above
To maximize comfort for all passengers, the RLX features a tri-zone automatic climate control system that allows the driver, front passenger and rear passengers to adjust their own temperature and airflow settings. On models with the navigation system, a solar sensor measures the suns intensity to determine its impact on interior temperature while the GPS receiver for the Acura Navigation System10 tracks the suns position relative to the car.
- As you approach the RLX, it detects which remote you have and will automatically set your preferred climate-control settings.
- If alone, you can synchronize all climate zones to a single setting.
- Adjustable vents behind the front center console allow rear passengers to direct and control airflow.
- Almost all climate control functions can be operated by voice commands.
On Demand Multi-Use Display
Acura has long been at the forefront of audio and information technology. But as the number of features have grown, so have the number of buttons on the center panel. The RLX designers, however, devised an intuitively easy way to use a touch screen with all the controls you need at any given time. What could have resulted in over 30 buttons is now a mere nine.
- You no longer have to repeatedly hit a button until your desired function is rotated into place. With nine different audio sources, each one can be accessed directly.
- Each display has a design that best arranges controls for the particular task at hand, so every panel can be quickly understood and operated.
- Every climate control function is instantly accessible with six hard controls as well as six touch-screen controls with a near-permanent presence at the bottom of the control screen.
- A shortcuts screen speeds you to your favorite presets among all audio sources, climate control combinations, navigation locations, or phone speed-dial favorites.
- Another shortcut allows you to disable access to various locations and functions for valet service, including trunk and glove box, as well as navigation, phone and audio controls.
- All the screens can display an instant current status of audio or climate functions while the upper display screen continues undisturbed.
Electronic Gear Selector
Sport Hybrid SH-AWD Feature
Because the Sport Hybrids 7-speed transmission is electronically controlled, the traditional shift knob is replaced by a more convenient button control panel known as the Electronic gear selector.
- The Electronic gear selector incudes intuitive controls with pushbuttons for Drive, Neutral and Park and pull-levers for Reverse and the Parking brake.
- Lower gears are accessed through the steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters.
- The electronic selector creates a more open space between driver and passenger and eliminates interference with low-mounted controls on the center stack or cup-holders.
In addition to the sophisticated, new touch-screen controls and the versatile steering-wheel controls, the voice recognition feature that accompanies the Acura Navigation System10 allows you to perform the most frequently used functions of the audio, climate control, and navigation systems without ever lifting a finger.
- With a simple click of the Talk steering wheel-mounted control, the audio system will instantly mute as you issue one of 600-plus voice commands to the audio, climate or navigation systems.
- If you come to an unfamiliar information display on the navigation screen, voiced guidance prompts can help you with command choices, and available command choices will be highlighted.
- Some commands can replace multiple manual functions, for example: CD, song 4, will turn on the audio system, select CD as an audio source, and play the fourth song.
- You can enter a specific address, as the navigation system will recognize over a million city and street names.
- This is the latest edition of the voice recognition system, which Acura has been offering and refining for over a decade.
Keyless Access System
The Keyless Access System with smart entry and pushbutton ignition allows you to walk up to the RLX, unlock the doors, have the car set your preferences and start the engine without ever having to take the key out of your pocket.
- The vehicle will sense the key remote but will not unlock the door until you touch the handle.
- You can turn the engine and auxiliary controls on and off at the touch of a button.
- If the key fob battery runs out, you can start the engine by pushing the start button and moving the key in front of the pressed start button while depressing the brake pedal.
The Bluetooth®11 HandsFreeLink® system works with most Bluetooth®-enabled cell phones to let you receive and initiate phone calls through the RLX audio system without ever taking your hands off the wheel.
- With a compatible phone, a simple one-time pairing process using the navigation screen is all it takes to connect your phone to the car. Apple® and Android smartphones can even download the AcuraLink App to make pairing, among other functions, even easier. As long as your phones Bluetooth is enabled, the car will automatically reconnect your phone without it ever leaving your pocket or purse.
- Whether you initiate or receive a call, the audio system will automatically mute, and you will hear the call through the audio system speakers. By speaking to the windshield, your voice is clearly received through sophisticated directional microphones.
- Up to six phones can be paired to the system, and if several of the phones are present, you can easily select which one will be connected and change the selection at any time.
- HandsFreeLink® functions are viewed and operated through the navigation screen, and when available, an incoming call will display the number if it is entered into the speed-dial list.
- You can download all of your compatible phones numbers at one time into the navigation systems hard drive.10
For more details, please visit the Acura Bluetooth HandsFreeLink minisite.
SMS / Email
An integrated SMS text message function44 enables you to respond to incoming text messages in a manner that helps mitigate any potential driver distraction.
- When driving with a paired, activated, SMS-compatible phone, the system will notify you of an incoming text message.
- Rather than avert your eyes from the road by reading the text on a display, the system will ask if you want it to read the message to you.
- After the message is read aloud, you can use the center display to select six pre-prepared responses.
- In addition, the system gives you the option to call the person who sent the text.
- Currently the system is compatible with certain Blackberry phones with the MAP protocol. Other models with the required messaging protocol are expected to enter the market in the future.
- State or local laws may limit use of texting feature. Only use texting feature when conditions allow you to do so safely.
The RLX is equipped with two warning systems that will alert you to important conditions that you might otherwise miss if momentarily distracted. Using a camera mounted between the windshield and the rearview mirror, the Lane Departure Warning system (LDW)56 alerts you with a beep when the vehicle unintentionally leaves a detected lane, and the Forward Collision Warning system (FCW)55 alerts you to a potential collision with a vehicle detected ahead, using both visual and audible warnings.
- At speeds of 45 miles per hour and above, LDW looks for painted lines, reflectors or other demarcations of lane division. If the RLX begins to exit a detected lane and the turn signal has not been engaged, the system will flash the LDW indicator on the instrument panel and display an amber Lane Departure message on the MID. It will also sound a series of beeps, alerting the driver to either return to the lane or activate the turn signal.
- LDW can be disengaged with a button thats located to the left of the steering column; however when restarting the car, the system will always default to the On position.
- FCW can detect vehicles directly in front of the car, and if the distance to that vehicle is diminishing, the system compares the vehicles current speeds to determine if a collision may occur.
- To alert the driver to apply the brake pedal, FCW will issue a beeping sound and flash an amber Brake message in the Multi-Information Display and project an amber warning image on the windshield.
- To avoid unnecessary warnings, the FCW will not operate at speeds below 10 mph.
- Drivers can adjust the distance at which the FCW alerts will be triggered by accessing the personal settings section through the Multi-Information Display.
Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow
Conventional cruise control has always been welcome on long highway trips, but can be of little use on an urban drivers daily routine. As with a conventional system, the available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with low-speed follow53 system allows you to set a desired speed, but it will also keep a set space from the car ahead of you so you can enjoy cruise control even in light traffic conditions.
- While cruising, engage the ACC, and the system will prompt you to select a short, medium or long interval from the vehicle ahead.
- Once a speed is set (between 20 and 95) you can raise or lower it with the steering-wheel controls while the MID informs you what mph you are setting.
- At speeds below the set speed, ACC will maintain the set distance, modulating the throttle and applying moderate braking where appropriate. The distance will be maintained even if the forward vehicle slows to a stop.
- After stopping, a tap on the throttle instructs the car to continue maintaining the desired distance between the vehicles.
Lane Keeping Assist System
Using the same forward camera as the Lane Departure Warning system, Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)59 works proactively to keep the vehicle inside the lane.
- If you guide the car out of a detected lane without signaling your intention to exit it, the system will slightly tug the wheel and guide the car to the center of the lane.
- Though the steering creates a slight tug, you can easily hold your course if you desire, as the system will not take control from you.
- On straight or mildly curving roads, LKAS will work to maintain the car in the center of the lane.
- The system is not designed to steer the car indefinitely. If it senses no steering input from the driver for over ten seconds, it will present a message instructing the driver to begin steering again.
Krell Audio System
Krell Audio and Advance Packages
Krell® Industries is the world's premier manufacturer of high-performance audio and video equipment. Its systems and individual components have received the highest honors by reviewers and audiophiles across the globe. The 14-speaker layout is identical to that of the ELS Studio Premium Audio System, but the speakers and amplifiers are Krell designed:
- The system's most important amplifier channels feature the same robust, bipolar power transistors used in flagship Krell home amplifiers. The result is one-third less distortion than the leading competitors flagship luxury car amplifiers, while providing substantially more power and headroom.
- The six mid-bass drivers are made from Zylon64the world's strongest super fiberenabling the system to respond quickly to musical signals for sharper clarity of mid-range to bass sounds.
- The handsome metal speaker grilles create a more open area and less vibration than typical plastic grilles for a more unobtrusive presence.
All audio sources and these features are common to both the ELS Studio and Krell audio systems:
- 15GB hard disk drive memory (HDD) media storage with shuffle, playlist creation, and an updatable Gracenote® database.
- USB7 Audio Interface for iPod®8 or flash drive enabling full operation through the audio system controls.
- SiriusXM® Satellite Radio4 and HD Radio®, both offering near-CD quality digital sound.
- Bluetooth®11 streaming audio, plus the ability to navigate and operate Aha and Pandora®45 through a compatible smartphone.
- An auxiliary input jack plays content from personal music players that are incompatible with the USB jack.
- Song by Voice® allows songs stored in the HDD or in an iPod®8 to be accessed by voice command
- The Note function music-reminder lets you store SiriusXM song information and a 10-second sample so you can recall it later
Hearing your digital music through the RLX couldnt be easier with its USB7 connection for interfacing with Apple® iPod®8 players and other USB mass storage devices that contain MP3, WMA6 or AAC music files.
- On a compatible iPod®8, music selection can be controlled through the audio system, including the steering wheel-mounted controls.
- The USB will charge, rather than deplete, a compatible iPod while its playing.
- You can plug in, select, and play music from a flash drive or other USB storage device.
- Track and folder information appears on the center display to simplify music search and selection.
- An incompatible iPod and other MP3 players can be plugged into the accompanying auxiliary input jack.
- Both the USB and auxiliary inputs are within the center console-covered storage area where devices can be conveniently carried and discreetly stored.
AcuraLink The Next Generation
A whole new generation of AcuraLink® begins with the RLX. The system now features two-way cellular communication through an embedded cellular device, making it versatile. Location and diagnostic information can be sent and retrieved from the car, allowing greater interaction with a smartphone, as well as more available services. Many AcuraLink features are free of charge, while others will require a subscription service. Some of the other highlights are:
- The RLX will instantaneously send out an emergency notification if an airbag has been deployed.
- If the RLX has been stolen, its location can be tracked.
- AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57 can now show traffic levels on busy side streets as well as freeways.
- A location on a smartphone can be sent to the navigation system.
- As part of a subscription service, a live concierge can help you find destinations and send directions to your navigation system.
- You can remotely lock or unlock your vehicle using your smartphone.
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic
Navigation Package and above
The AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™57 feature helps you steer clear of gridlock by providing continuously updated traffic information in major metropolitan areas across the 48 contiguous United States. Its free for three years, and after that, its available by a subscription service.
- Interstates, expressways and now, busy side streets are color-coded to indicate traffic flow levels.
- Icons indicate the location of incidents and traffic conditions affected by construction and weather.
- You can also have the system simply list traffic-impacting collisions and construction zones in your surrounding area.
- Traffic Rerouting™57 will suggest an alternative route if the system determines its at least two minutes or 10% quicker.
Navigation Package and above
The Acura Navigation System10 has an extensive database of addresses and points of interest for a variety of handy information.
- The system will not only show you the nearby ATMs, if for example, you dont want to pay a service charge, just tell it to show your banks machines.
- You can also find the exact type of restaurant youre in the mood for, as well as locate schools, parks, hospitals, drugstores, museums and more.
- Since destinations change over time, updates can be downloaded through this website and uploaded to the navigation hard drive.
The Acura Navigation System10 will not only tell you where restaurants are and how to get to them, it can also tell you their price range and provide customer reviews.
- The systems Zagat Survey® ratings and reviews provide detailed information from a database that you can read on-screenor if youre driving, they can be spoken over the audio system.
- If you need reservations, the system can even dial the restaurant for you through a paired, compatible Bluetooth®11-enabled cell phone.