The RLX is powered by a 3.5-liter, 310-horsepower V-6 engine that features Direct Gas Injection, Variable Cylinder Management™ and the Acura i-VTEC® system.
- Intelligent Variable Timing and lift Control (i-VTEC®) increases horsepower by advancing valve timing relative to engine rpm. High-rpm airflow is enhanced by opening intake valves longer and deeper at approximately 4500 rpm.
- Variable Cylinder Management™ significantly improves highway fuel efficiency by automatically changing the V-6 engine to run on six or three cylinders, depending on driving conditions. The cylinder activation is seamless and not felt by driver or passengers.
- Direct Gas Injection injects fuel directly into each cylinder with a multi-hole injector for a more precise and effective air fuel mixture. It also uses significantly less fuel when the engine is being started.
- Fuel that is injected directly into the cylinder also has a cooling effect, which allows the power-increasing effects of a higher compression ratio without engine knocking.
- The Drive-by-Wire™ throttle system varies throttle sensitivity to provide the appropriate throttle response and feel to different driving conditions.
- The net result is an engine that produces 310 horsepower at 6500 rpm, 272 lbs.-ft. of torque (both SAE net) at 4500 rpm (both SAE net) while having an EPA Fuel Economy Ratings27 of 20 / 31 / 24 mpg (city/highway/combined).
6-Speed Sequential SportShift Automatic
Standard Front-Wheel Drive Feature
The 6-speed automatic transmission with Sequential SportShift paddle shifters gives you the best of both worlds by providing the convenience of precise and intuitive automatic shifting as well as shift-for-yourself control.
- Set the transmission to "Drive" for smooth gear changes with an emphasis on fuel efficiency. Select Sport for quicker acceleration, as the transmission allows the engine to rev higher before up-shifting.
- The steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters deliver quick, precise shifts at your fingertips.
- Tapping a paddle shifter while in "Drive" brings a quick gear change with automatic operation returning when reaching a steady speed. This allows you to make quick gear changes without changing in and out of manual mode.
- Using a paddle shifter in "Sport" puts the transmission into full manual mode, where youll have complete control in instances such as high-performance or hilly driving.
- For better climbing or increased downhill engine braking, Grade Logic Control instructs the transmission to hold a lower gear when encountering a steep uphill or downhill grade.
The remarkable handling performance of the RLX is a result of double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspensions.
- The front design incorporates a dual lower arm that creates a virtual kingpin at the center of the front wheels width to reduce torque steer.
- Anti-dive properties keep the body stable during braking.
- To maintain composure in hard cornering, the rear multi-link design features anti-squat geometry to reduce pitching under acceleration and also isolates springs and dampers from lateral forces.
- All four corners are fitted with exclusive Amplitude Reactive Dampers, which feature two piston valves per damper (a.k.a. shock absorber) rather than one. The main valve helps absorb minor road vibration, while the second one is stiffer, reigning in a larger suspension motion for improved stability.
- Thick front and rear stabilizer bars control body roll for flatter cornering.
- Agile Handling Assist® uses the active braking components of the Variable Stability Assist system to help the driver maneuver through the desired line of a curve.
Precision All-Wheel Steer
Standard Front Wheel Drive Feature
Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS®) is designed to deliver an unprecedented level of handling precision and control. It's the first system that enables the rear wheels to adjust toe angles independently of each other. Working in concert with Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®)12 and the Agile Handling Assist®, P-AWS® helps enhance vehicle stability, maneuverability, and control.
- The rear wheels can pivot as much as 1.8 degrees in the same direction as the front wheels for smooth, stable and quick lane changes.
- When cornering, the rear wheels angle slightly in the opposite direction from the front wheels (reverse-phase) to help rotate the car into the turn.
- At low speeds, reverse-phase steering helps the RLX maneuver in tight areas.
- In high-speed braking, each rear wheel angles inward, increasing braking ability and stability.
Agile Handling Assist
Agile Handling Assist® uses the components of the Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®)12 system to help improve handling. While VSA® steps in to brake individual wheels to avoid oversteer or understeer, the Agile Handling Assist® uses active braking, usually on an inside wheel to help the driver smoothly and easily trace the desired line through a curve with smaller steering inputs.